Light is both the photographer's palette and brush. Harnessing available light is a skill learned through the study of technical theory and then applying it in the field. My goal as a photographer is to search out the images that interest me artistically, and upon finding the essence of a particular place, using composition and light to enhance the images. The Old World and New World have much to offer me as a photographer. From a sunrise in Tuscany, Italy, to a sunset on Mackinac Island, Michigan, there is much beauty in the world. All one has to do is look.
I have a lot of fun capturing images and seeing the world through the camera brings me a lot of joy. People always move too fast past those special places and capturing images with my camera has allowed me to stop and say I need to enjoy this light this place, I will catch up with you later. By teaching I get to interact with others who want to take a moment and enjoy those special places as the light changes.
My images are captured on 6x7 cm, 4x5 inch film or full frame digital cameras. After the images are shot I process the film images in my darkroom or process digital images with Photoshop and Topaz software. Wheather film of digital each images is burned, dodged, adjusted for density, color balanced and then printed, making each unique and original. As my artistic mood and expression changes, so will the image. In the milkhouse part of the 6,000 sq ft barn, next to my home, is where I cut and join all the frames used for my photographs. In the lower level of my home, dry mounting, mat cutting and assembly take place. My dream is to convert the barn over the next few years into gallery/studio, work and living space.
- I have been elected to Board of Directors of the Michigan Guild of Artist and Artisans for 4 consecutive 3 year terms by my friends and Colleagues who make their livings by selling their amazing art at the art shows around the country.
- Wayne County Artist of Distinction, Photography, Wayne County Council for Arts, Detroit, MI.
- First Place, Photography, St. Clair Art Fair, St. Clair, MI
- First Place, Photography, Art Birmingham, Birmingham, MI
- Second Place, Fine Arts, Lexington Fine Arts Fair, Lexington, MI
- Third Place, Photography, Crosby Festival of the Arts, Toledo, Ohio
- Honorable Mention, Fine Art at Meadow Brook, Rochester, MI
- Purchase Award, Round the Fountain Art Fair, Lafayette, IN
- Honorable Mention, Algonac Art Fair, Algonac, MI
- Honorable Mention, Mt. Clemens Art Fair, Mt. Clemens, MI
- State of Michigan - Michigan State Fair
- Gallagher and Kaiser Corporation
- College Fields Golf Course
- Wolverine Technologies for Architectural Photography
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI - Liberal Arts
- College for Creative Studies, Detroit, MI - Photography
Contact Paul if you have any questions.